Ascension Parish Facts Page
Ascension parish was created in 1807
Estimated 2014 population of the parish about 114,000
- Ascension Parish is made up of 2 cities, and 1 town.The City of Gonzales, The City of Donaldsonville and the Town of Sorrento. There are also 39 unincorporated communities and 2 census designated areas.
Approximately 39,800 households
- Ascension Parish is the fourth smallest Parish in Louisiana by total area.
Our parish is made up of 303 square miles of which 290 is land and 13 square miles is water
20% of the square miles is on the west bank & 80% on the east side
- 11 Major Highways run through Ascension Parish
- Ascension Parish is approximately 25 minutes outside of Baton Rouge and 45 minutes from New Orleans
- One of the fastest growing Parishes in the State.
Over 8,540 businesses in our parish
- Ascension Parish is the home of River Parish Community College, ranked among the fastest growing community and technical colleges in the nation.
Over 20,000 children are in the public school system
- In 1946, the company Blue Runner Red Beans moved to its current location in Gonzales, Louisiana, where all of their products are still produced to this day.
- Ascension Parish has been the backdrop of numerous films for over 50 years because of its diverse scenes and easy access.
- The City of Gonzales holds the title as “Jambalaya Capital of the World”
- Jambalaya Festival Association holds the Guinness Book World Record for Worlds largest pot of Jambalaya.
- Ascension Parish’s Historic City of Donaldsonville was the capitol of Louisiana from 1829-1831.